WHO: The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ: ABCO) (www.advisory.com) is a global research, consulting, and technology firm helping hospital and university executives to better serve patients and students. We provide strategic guidance, actionable insights, web-based software solutions, and comprehensive implementation and management services. We combine the analytical, managerial, and technological expertise of our 1,600+ employees around the world with insights from the on-the-ground experience of our network of 125,000 leaders at 3,200 health care and higher education member organizations to find solutions to our partners’ most pressing challenges. We deeply appreciate the trust that our members place in us, and we seek to serve them with generosity—and beyond expectation—in all that we do.
- Our current opportunity is based in Washington, DC.
- We are seeking undergraduate and graduate school academic interns to assist the Health Policy and Government Strategies team in researching health policy issues related to healthcare transformation including quality and efficiency improvements in the delivery of care in hospitals and health systems. The team supports both internal and external stakeholders through its policy analysis. Work includes briefing Congress and the Administration; developing content for publication in national health policy periodicals, and working closely with other health policy leaders and organizations. The position will include a small stipend.
Academic Intern Responsibilities:
Academic Intern responsibilities will vary depending upon the team’s highest priority needs, but will generally include a mix of research and administrative duties. Past intern projects have included:
- Preparing research briefs on issues like Accountable Care Organizations and the Basic Health Plan Option
- Conducting a literature review on bundled payments
- Creating a database of key contacts
- Attending congressional hearings and briefings at policy organizations
- In process of earning Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree (candidate must be a degree-seeking student)
- Excellent academic record
- Availability to work for a minimum of 16 hours per week for a full academic semester in the DC office
- Interest in health care policy focused on healthcare transformation including quality and efficiency improvements in the delivery of care in hospitals and health systems
- Available four days per week for a minimum of 16-20 hours for the full academic year (however, candidates with less availability will be considered).
- Demonstrated interest in health care and policy issues
- Knowledge of legislative and policy institutions and processes
- Experience conducting research or policy analysis, preferably long-term experience
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with senior executives and key external contacts, in both oral and written formats
HOW: If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply online at the following location: https://corporate-advisory.icims.com/jobs/6939/academic-intern%252c-health-policy-and-government-strategies/job